Friday, September 4, 2009

Science for Dummies, but without the embarrassing cover and title

I suppose it's the homeschooling that is continually alerting me to the gaps in my own knowledge base, but the older I get, the more I realize how little I remember or know about science. When the kids ask questions, I ALWAYS have to say, "Let's go look that up."

So when I was browsing and found "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson, I had to pick it up. The book came out in 2003 and was on best seller lists, but I don't remember hearing about it. (In my defense, that was the year Meg was entering terrible toddlerhood and Lillie was born AND we started Timo on kindergarten, so I was just a little distracted.) I'm making it my crusade to tell everyone about this book now. Bryson has taken almost every branch of science and presents the major discoveries and theories in an understandable, fascinating way. Newton's Laws of Motion? Yup, makes sense. What DNA is? I got it. Theory of Relativity? Well, yeah, I see that now!

If only my high school science textbooks and teachers had been this interesting, I might have become a meteorologist after all. :)

1 comment:

Just Me said...

I was blessed to take the life long course on how to love science and apply it to everyday life.
But this book intrigues me, now I have to figure this out my my kids.