Wednesday, August 27, 2008

We love the library!

It is truly one of my favorite places in Clarksville (some of the others are Trinity Episcopal Church, Hodgepodge, the Blackhorse Pub and Tandoor, by the way) and it tickles me no end that my kids feel the same way. Today we returned 12 DVDs/videos and 20 books; played with our friend Koen; found 10 more books to check out; picked up a book on reserve; played with Little People; read in a quiet corner; talked to my friend Christina; used the computer card catalog to look things up; played in the bathtub; made a new friend; and talked to our favorite circulation employee, Vanya. (No movies today because they keep leaving the library DVDs out of the cases, and until they keep our DVDs in the cases for a week, they can't be trusted with someone else's - make sense?) How many other places can you do that many different things and not have to pay a dime? So cool. One of these days (read: When Lillie graduates from homeschool) I hope to work there. But I hope Miss Jean, Miss Mary and Miss JJ are still working there so I can work with them.

I picked up A Thousand Splendid Suns (thanks for returning it, Christina!) to read for our book club, Under the Covers. I have until Sept 12 to finish it, which is totally do-able if I can get through Pillars of the Earth. I'm about 2/3 of the way through it now and if I'm lucky, can spend the rest of my homeschooling-week-off finishing it up. Then I have to come up with something to read at the beach - whoo hoo! Another trip to library! :)

3 comments:

Christina said...

The library was fun! When Ava got home from school she took the 3 Junie B Jones books I checked out for her and read the first 3 chapters of each. Silly girl! I have to finish one book before I begin another.

Kate G. Smith said...

Ava reads like I do, then - I usuallyhave 2-3 books going at a time. While I was struggling through Pillars, I'm also re-reading the Sandman series and "A World Lit Only By Fire" which is a history of the middle ages and how the Renaissance began. It's dry, but gooooood.

Just Me said...

We went library on Thursday too - but it was a dash and run. Dump the books in the book drop and go. It was self preservation and kindness, I didn't want to drag in a screaming upset child, and no one else wanted me to either. I love that he gets teary when it's time to return books - but sheesh - enough is enough!