Saturday, October 11, 2008

Halloween decorations

Last weekend we spent time putting out our Halloween decorations. I've collected a few pieces over the years, but this year I wanted things to be a little spookier and more subtle than in years past. After placing candles, plastic spiders, Edgar the Stuffed Owl and silly pumpkin lights, I was a little stumped as to how to fill out the rest of the spaces. Then it came to me: Books. I knew we had several Anne Rice tomes on the shelves and figured there were other spooky titles around that we could "flesh" out our decor with. So Creepy Book Titles became our theme.

Here are the stacks we have around:
Kiss of the Spider Woman
Frankenstein
The Stranger
Einstein's Monsters
The Witching Hour

All Hallow's Eve
The Hunger
Interview with the Vampire
Memnoch the Devil

To Kill a Mockingbird (with a bird on top of the book - ha!)
Midnight Boy
Misery
The Picture of Dorian Gray
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
The Castle of Otranto
The Haunting of Hill House
Thirteen Stories

The Dead Zone
Dead-Eye Dick
Dead Babies
The Tale of the Body Thief
Neil's Book of the Dead
Remains of the Day
Nightwork
The Shining

Death Be Not Proud
Le Morte d'Arthur
For Whom the Bell Tolls
The Body Farm
and Finnegan's Wake

At first glance, nothing seems unusual. But I hope people will take a second to stop and look and get the joke.

2 comments:

Just Me said...

I can't wait to see this, so very clever. Thanks for inspiring me to read more than children's books and parenting self help books!

Jenn F said...

I absolutely adored what you did! I didn't know that you were going to do that, and so when I was at your house it was a pleasant surprise. Very clever indeed, and an idea that I will be stealing from you! :~)